Website Environmental Defense Fund
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Job Title: Head of Sustainable Finance
Location: London (Hybrid)
Hours: Full Time
Application Deadline: January 15th, 2023 – Early applications are strongly encouraged and will be processed upon receipt.
Application Format: Please submit your CV (max 2 pages) and a Cover Letter (max 1 page)
To achieve carbon neutrality by 2050, greening the financial system is crucial. It must be done in a way that effectively balances the need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions dramatically whilst boosting economic growth, the creation of jobs and without leaving anyone behind.
EDFE is a relatively new environmental NGO in Europe. So far, we have been involved in the development of sustainable reporting standards through EFRAG, the European Financial Reporting Advisory Group. We now want to broaden our work and that means we are looking for experienced candidates who have:
An excellent understanding of the measures needed to rewire financial systems due to climate change and environmental concerns and to drive capital for a sustainable future An excellent network in the financial sector in London, and ideally beyond, and relevant finance initiatives Knowledge of strategies and frameworks for responding to financial risks posed by social and sustainability issues, including impact investing and new sustainability disclosures An understanding of the international climate change agenda
You will report to the AVP European Strategy & Engagement based in London, liaising closely with colleagues in Europe, the United States and in other overseas offices.
- Manage and further develop this new work area for EDFE
- Be an advocate for a sustainable transformation of the finance system
- Work with a multi-disciplinary team of colleagues from our business, scientists, economists and communication teams
- Build and leverage internal and external networks and connect with key stakeholders in e.g., European & national institutions, national governments, industry and partner NGOs to advance our objectives
- Manage a small team in London and Brussels.
- Support fundraising efforts to raise new resources for this program of work and the wider transport agenda
- Participate in advancing EDF Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
Skills & Experience
- Are educated to masters level, or have equivalent professional experience with 10 years or more work experience
- Have experience of building a new workstream almost from scratch, including undertaking gap analyses and stakeholder mapping
- Are experienced at developing the strategy for a project or advocacy campaign, identifying relevant funding and establishing work plans. You are a team-player who is focused on getting buy-in from the wider team for your proposals
- Are a strong networker. You will build on your existing network in the financial sector to identify and develop relationships with a variety of stakeholders in and outside the financial sector. You will identify and develop relationships with potential project collaborators
- Are highly experienced at influencing legislative and policy approaches in the UK and/or EU
- Are able to commission and/or produce and communicate high-quality analyses to support the policy proposals of EDF Europe
- Are a strong written and oral communicator. You apply your communication skills to persuade, influence or lead others. You are confident at doing formal presentations before senior internal staff and critical outside stakeholders
- Have experience of managing staff and excel at helping them develop
- Demonstrate self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
The position is based in our London office. We support hybrid working. You must be eligible to live and work in the UK when applying.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 80,000 – 86,000 GBP which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.