Purpose of Job
The Principal Manager – Innovative Blended Finance holds a key position in the Green Partnerships team, which sits within EBRD’s wider Donor Partnerships (DP) team. She/he develops, in close collaboration with different EBRD departments, innovative investment vehicles and pioneering financial structures to attract catalytic concessional funding from multilateral and bilateral resource partners to address climate and environmental issues.
The Principal Manager develops strategies, tools and partnerships to leverage untapped donor support in under-funded and/or catalytic areas through innovative concessional instruments.
The successful candidate will have excellent problem-solving skills, a demonstrated track record in blended and innovative finance, an understanding of the climate finance architecture and donor relations.
Accountabilities & Responsibilitie
The Principal Manager – Innovative Blended Finance is responsible for:
Analysis & Opportunity Scoping:
• Analyse how other relevant financial institutions use of blended finance resources and identify innovative blended finance solutions that can be integrated into funding concepts and proposals to multilateral climate/environmental funds and bilateral donors.
• Scan the landscape and following international debates on blended finance to identify engagement opportunities and bringing this knowledge into the Bank’s donor agenda.
• Map and stay abreast of EBRD’s sectorial, geographical, and thematic needs for concessional resources.
Ideation & Design:
• In partnership with relevant EBRD teams, design funding concepts and proposals that deploy innovative reimbursable or unfunded investment vehicles, business models and pioneering financial structures to address climate and environmental issues.
• Create and deliver fundraising pitches for using innovative blended finance funds.
• Engage with a wide range of partners, particularly other DFIs, and establish strategic opportunities for new multi-stakeholder platforms that deploy innovative blended finance.
Internal Process Management:
• Leading the internal approval of new blended finance products and processes, if necessary.
• Support, if necessary, the origination, structuring and execution of the Bank’s blended finance investments.
Knowledge Management & Learning:
• In close collaboration with EBRD’s Impact Team, capturing, analysing, and disseminating knowledge products on blended finance internally and provide thought leadership on the topics of blended concessional finance.
• Work with other teams within DP to support the design and deployment of innovative blended finance tools to support the Bank’s donor agenda.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
• Master’s degree in economics, finance, business administration or related discipline.
• Work experience in a private commercial bank or development finance institutions, particularly in the context of development finance related to climate change.
• Substantive experience in blended and innovative finance and/or impact investing, preferably in the field of climate action.
• Experience in identifying and designing innovative reimbursable or unfunded financial instruments, business models and pioneering financial structures (first loss equity, guarantees, bonds, etc.).
• In-depth experience in designing and structuring funding concepts and proposals and raising donor resources for climate and environmental issues.
• Understanding of the global climate debate and the climate finance architecture.
• Experience and understanding of the type of financial instruments DFIs deploy, particularly in the region and sectors in which the EBRD operates.
• Excellent communication, negotiation and problem-solving skills.
• Strong inter-personal management skills, including ability to work across departments
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people’s lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working and expecting our employee to attend the office 50% of their working time.
We believe that hard work deserves great rewards. We offer competitive base salaries and annual performance-based bonuses. Permanent staff can enjoy addition benefits such as medical insurance, generous and flexible annual leave options, retirement benefits, reduced gym membership rates and staff discounts at a wide array of retailers.
We recognise the challenges of working far from home, so if you move from another country to take up a post with us, we’ll help by providing ongoing assistance and relocation allowance.