Emerging Markets Impact Investment
Project-Based Impact Consultant: Summer Internship
Founded in 1994, Developing World Markets (DWM) is an impact investor with over 25 years of experience investing in emerging and frontier markets. We seek solutions that provide market-rate returns for institutional clients and demonstrable social and environmental impact for our investee companies and beneficiaries. DWM has originated and managed over $2.5 billion of private debt and private equity in impact-oriented enterprises, including over 600 loans and 25 private equity stakes in more than 60 emerging and frontier countries. DWM invests primarily in inclusive finance institutions, which serve as key intermediaries driving institutional capital towards sectors that meet critical developmental needs like agriculture, housing, education and livelihoods. For more information, please visit our website: http://www.dwmarkets.com.
DWM seeks a motivated graduate student professional to join our team in the summer of 2024 (flexible start date). The intern will carry out critical projects related to the firm’s impact management system and help accelerate portfolio company impact. The role offers an opportunity to gain hands-on experience within an established impact investing firm, working in private markets to drive positive social and environmental impact and significant business value for DWM and its stakeholders. This is a full-time paid position with a flexible location (ideally based in the US with US work authorization).
Projects will focus on maximizing the effectiveness of DWM’s impact management systems, such as:
- Analyze portfolio impact data and present trends and findings on the impact of DWM’s portfolio companies
- Create internal benchmark of DWM Impact Scores
- Research, develop, and test impact theses and scoring models for new themes/sectors, e.g., gender, fintech
- Support impact screening for new portfolio companies, including for a gender and climate-focused pipeline
- Design a database to monitor portfolio company-level impact against expectations
The intern will report to the Managing Director of Impact (based in New York) and have significant engagement with senior leadership, including Partners and Directors on the investment and risk teams.
The desired characteristics of candidates are as follows:
- Prior experience or demonstrated interest in impact investing, international development, or related fields
- Knowledge of best practices in impact management
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English
- Resourcefulness and self-direction, ability to leverage multiple sources of information to draw conclusions and make thoughtful recommendations
- Competency in managing and analyzing large data sets
- Proactive approach to problem-solving
- Project management skills and proactive approach to communication and time management
Please submit your resume and a cover letter outlining your motivation and fit for the position, relevant past experience, and availability to Hannah Schiff at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 16, 2024. Please use the subject line “2024 Impact Intern”. Please include your name (last name first) in the file names.