Website CPP Investments
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investments, you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $500 billion, CPP Investments is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to reach $3 trillion by 2050. CPP Investments invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, San Francisco, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPP Investments attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPP Investments’ important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPP Investments.
We are recruiting for a Principal to join the Sustainable Investing (SI) group within the Real Assets department for a 12-month contract. SI is responsible for all environmental, social and governance (ESG) matters considered in investment and research activities across investment strategies globally. The group’s focus is to make CPP Investments the partner and capital provider of choice for companies that are, or aspire to be, leaders in incorporating ESG considerations to support long-term value creation.
Based in Toronto and reporting to the Managing Director & Head of SI, the Principal will play a leadership and oversight role over all corporate governance related work. You will conduct corporate engagement initiatives, oversee proxy voting for CPP Investments’ public holdings, and lead governance integration work across a diversified set of investments and strategies. In addition, you will be expected to play an active role in the broader activities of the SI group.
The Principal will be a seasoned professional with a strong professional track record, experience related to investment management, and a demonstrated interest in and understanding of corporate governance matters.
Role specific accountabilities may include:
- Lead engagement activities with directors and management of companies in our public equity portfolio to promote governance best practices and manage governance-related risks that could impact long-term value
- Lead and oversee day-to-day proxy voting execution and vote decision-making at shareholder meetings for CPP Investments’ public holdings
- Direct and oversee the integration of governance factors across CPP Investments’ investment and asset management activities
- Prepare or contribute to governance research documents, presentations and briefing notes for senior management, the Sustainable Investing Committee, the SI group and/or other groups across the organization
- Maintain external partnerships with industry peers and global governance organizations, and manage relationships with governance service providers
- Monitor and appropriately consider governance and investment-related sustainability issues, developments and trends
- Other duties as required
If you possess the following, we’d like to hear from you:
- Required investment related experience at CPP Investments (preferred) or in previous roles
- Work experience related to corporate governance, or otherwise clearly demonstrated interest in and understanding of governance matters
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy while meeting demanding deadlines, managing competing priorities and working in high-pressure situations
- Superior relationship management skills, with a track record of working and interacting effectively with others both internal and external to the organization
- Solid, demonstrated communication skills (oral and written), as well as strong presentation skills
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills
- The ability to apply good judgment, think proactively and creatively, develop independent points of view, supported by facts and analysis, and demonstrated flexibility and adaptability
- Team player who thrives in a high performance culture
- Fit with CPP Investments’ values will be given the highest importance. Specifically, we will be looking for candidates who can work inclusively in a team environment with a high degree of professionalism and who exemplify our Guiding Principles of Integrity, Partnership, and High Performance
Visit our LinkedIn Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn. #LI-KB1
At CPP Investments, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity:
In addition to being dedicated to building a workforce that reflects diverse talent, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible experience. If you require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms, etc.), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
CPP Investments does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investments to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investments will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.
Mandatory Vaccine Policy
All employees in the Toronto, New York, San Francisco, Mumbai, Sydney, Hong Kong, and Sao Paulo offices will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations to this policy will be made for medical or other protected grounds. Please contact us to discuss any accommodation needs.