Bank | Asset Manager
Job Id: 23636164
Citi’s ESRM team is based in our global headquarters in New York, NY and works with banking and risk partners globally to review client activities in industries with potential environmental and/or social risks, such as oil and gas, mining, power, infrastructure, transportation, forestry, and palm oil. The ESRM team also provides subject matter expertise and governance over sustainable finance transactions such as green bonds and sustainability-linked bonds or loans. The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker with a combination of skills including complex project management, technical knowledge of environmental and social/human rights risks, analytical ability to efficiently identify and quantify materiality of these risks in the finance sector, the ability to operate in a fast-paced, demanding corporate environment, and communication skills to effectively, confidently and persuasively communicate with a diverse array of internal and external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate would also have international work experience given the team’s global coverage, and prior knowledge of international principles, standards and frameworks used by financial institutions.
- Works with key banking units (e.g., Global Power, Energy, and Mining, Export and Agency Finance, Project and Infrastructure Finance), Corporate Sustainability, and Risk Management to assess and manage environmental and social risk
- Leads transaction reviews across a variety of sectors (metals and mining, oil and gas, forestry, power and other large infrastructure sectors), across all geographies
- Participates in transaction approvals and advise on potential ESRM requirements for internal policy purposes as well as syndication
- Joins client calls and meetings to discuss client environmental and social risks and advise them on meeting international ESRM standards
- Provides advice to bankers and helps develop governance structures for emerging sustainable finance products
- Leverages third party ESG data platforms, conduct corporate-level and portfolio-level reviews of high-risk sectors (i.e., extractives, agribusiness) to identify any clients that present elevated environmental, social or reputational risk
- Support ESRM training of bankers and risk managers
- Apply sound ethical judgment regarding business practices and personal conduct to safeguard the firm’s reputation and drive compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations.
- 6-10 years relevant experience in the financial sector, industry (such as oil & gas, mining, agribusiness), environmental consultancy or other relevant work experience;
- Environmental or sustainable themed degree in science, engineering, international development, economics or business; work experience in either ESRM in another financial institution, socially responsible investing, corporate sustainability or environmental health and safety in industry, or environmental or social consulting;
- Knowledgeable in major global environmental and sustainability trends;
- Familiar with international environmental and social finance or industry standards such as the Equator Principles, IFC Performance Standards, UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil, ICMA Green Bond Principles, etc.;
- Developed project management skills and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously; strong time management skills and ability to work in a high-performance environment, with short deadlines and shifting priorities;
- Spanish language skills a strong advantage, but not required.
- Bachelor’s/University degree, Master’s degree preferred
This job description provides a high-level review of the types of work performed. Other job-related duties may be assigned as required.
This role will also have responsibility for screening emerging sustainable finance products and helping establish and strengthen governance frameworks for emerging sustainable finance products.
Job Family Group:
Underwriting & Distrib Risk
New York New York United States
Primary Location Salary Range:
$125,540.00 – $188,310.00
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the “EEO is the Law” poster. View the EEO is the Law Supplement.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting