Website Capital Group
Req ID 55884
Location Los Angeles
Other location(s) San Francisco (CA)
“I can be myself at work.”
You define yourself by more than just a job title, and we want you to feel comfortable bringing your true self to work. We value your talents, your traditions and your take on the world everything that makes you unique. We’re working hard to advance diversity, equity and inclusion in our organization and our communities because we know that what makes us different makes us better.
We want you to feel a strong sense of belonging. We value and welcome your experiences, ideas and identity. Over 40 employee resource groups unite our people and help to develop our collective empathy through unfiltered conversations about race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, faith, disabilities, mental health and so much more.
“I can influence my income.”
You want to feel recognized at work. Your performance will be reviewed annually, and your compensation will be designed to motivate and reward the value that you provide. You’ll receive a competitive salary, bonuses and benefits. Your company-funded retirement contribution will be the equivalent of 15% of your annual pay (including bonuses).
“I can lead a full life.”
You bring unique goals and interests to your job and your life. Whether you’re raising a family, you’re passionate about where you volunteer, or you want to explore different career paths, we’ll give you the resources that can set you up for success.
- Enjoy generous time-away and health benefits from day one, with the opportunity for flexible work options
- Receive 2-for-1 matching gifts for your charitable contributions and the opportunity to secure annual grants for the organizations you love
- Access on-demand professional development resources that allow you to hone existing skills and learn new ones
NOTE We value flexibility and have a menu of options for our associates to leverage to help set up their work-life balance. Our associates enjoy a hybrid approach with three days in the office on a weekly basis. We encourage you to discuss the specific guidelines for your role throughout your interview process.
For nearly 90 years, our mission has been to improve people’s lives through successful investing. We believe integrating ESG into our investment process can generate better long-term outcomes for our clients. ESG is systematically integrated into our investment process, and is grounded in three key components our proprietary ESG investment frameworks, monitoring process, and engagement and proxy voting. We believe this approach enhances our proven investment process, The Capital System, and can help us deliver better long-term results.
The Stewardship Analyst, as a member of the ESG team, is responsible for conducting proxy research culminating in proxy voting recommendations to the Investment Group (IG) and engaging with portfolio companies on stewardship priorities; more junior roles will assist with proxy voting operational responsibilities. The associate in this role demonstrates strong working knowledge of Capital Group’s proxy voting guidelines and works under direction only as needed. Partners and provides guidance to Analysts/PMs and the ESG team as needed to conduct sector and industry specific research in support of investment frameworks and case studies to analyze and recommend best practices and standards. Displays a full understanding of the proxy voting and engagement cycle and may represent Capital Group at industry events in order to deliver insights, best practices and process enhancements back to the Stewardship team.
- You demonstrate a strong understanding of key governance topics, while demonstrating high learning agility in order to build an increasing depth of knowledge, and a sound understanding of the responsibilities of the Stewardship team
- You prepare company and sector-level research and apply proxy voting guidelines with appropriate judgement, using analysis to diagnose and resolve issues as required, across a broad range of governance, environmental and social topics in order to recommend and author vote recommendations. You utilize effective decision quality when elevating proxy votes for IG review and escalating potential voting issues for more senior team member involvement, which may include providing recommendations for potential resolution.
- Identifies trends in feedback /questions received from internal and external business partners, and makes recommendations to resolve them
- Has a developing knowledge of market issues, identifies industry trends, and incorporates competitive knowledge into key initiatives and recommendations; consistently shares knowledge within the Stewardship team.
- May participate in forums to understand the stewardship industry
- Guides internal business partners through small complexity issues, with a focus on continuous improvement and establishment of business processes
- You partner with more senior team members in standalone research efforts based on internal requests in areas of familiarity
- You participate in company engagements with senior decision-makers on ESG related topics
- You demonstrate an appropriate level of knowledge in the application of proxy voting guidelines, including escalating relevant trends and making recommendations in a timely manner to senior members of the team for guideline committee consideration
- You build credibility with the IG as relationships develop over time and viewed as providing value-added contributions to the proxy voting process
- You bring developing sector and company expertise as a participant alongside more senior Stewardship associates when engaging with issuers
- You participate in developing training materials around specific topics that increase the team’s knowledge base, and consistently share articles and notes from webcasts and industry events with the team
- You participate in projects with key stakeholders, demonstrating an understanding of team procedures and a risk awareness mindset.
- You seek to build relationships, credibility and knowledge with key internal and external stakeholders.
- You provide ongoing feedback (both positive and constructive) to leadership on team needs and opportunities
- More junior roles will ensure that voting decisions are transmitted to the market timely and accurately, contribute to securities lending responsibilities and provide support to client and ad hoc reporting requirements.
“I am the person Capital Group is looking for.”
- You have demonstrated ability to be self-driven to understand how and why things work, the financial industry and/or the connections between processes and technology.
- You have the ability to learn and apply to your daily work to various systems and research resources
- You demonstrate a developing knowledge of Stewardship functions, Capital Group’s Proxy Voting Guidelines, policies, procedures and systems
- You have demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills with a diverse group of associates, senior business leaders, the Investment Group and portfolio companies’ management and directors
- You have demonstrated effective report writing skills, including recording of engagement and voting activity on internal systems
“I can apply in less than 4 minutes.”
You’ve reviewed this job posting and you’re ready to start the candidate journey with us. Apply now to move to the next step in our recruiting process. If this role isn’t what you’re looking for, check out our other opportunities and join our talent community.
“I can learn more about Capital Group.”
At Capital Group, the success of the people who invest with us depends on the people in whom we invest. That’s why we offer a culture, compensation and opportunities that empower our associates to build successful and prosperous careers. Through nine decades, our goal has been to improve people’s lives through successful investing. We know that our history is a testament to the strength of the people we hire. More than 7,800 associates in 30+ offices around the world help our clients and each other grow and thrive every day. Find us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, FairyGodBoss, DiversityJobs and Instagram.
We are an equal opportunity employer, which means we comply with all federal, state and local laws that prohibit discrimination when making all decisions about employment. As equal opportunity employers, our policies prohibit unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including gender and gender identity), pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, AIDS/HIV status, political activities or affiliations, military or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, assault or stalking or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Nearest Major Market Los Angeles