Website British International Investment
Our mission and objectives
- British International Investment is the UK’s development finance institution, owned by the UK Government. We invest with the aim of solving the biggest global development challenges by investing patient, flexible capital to support private sector growth and innovation.
- We have over 75 years of experience successfully supporting the sustainable, long-term growth of businesses in Africa and Asia, and have recently expanded to invest in the Indo-Pacific and Caribbean.
- We invest to achieve impact and a financial return which is then reinvested for more impact. Over the past five years, we have committed almost £7 billion of new investments, with our net assets growing in value to approximately £7.7 billion. We are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 900,000 workers and support many more. Over the next five years, we plan to grow further, and aim to commit around £9 billion of new investments over the period.
- Our new five-year strategy responds to the opportunities and challenges facing developing and emerging economies. To ensure our capital is used in the best way possible to meet these opportunities and challenges, it sets out three clear strategic objectives – to invest in productive, sustainable and inclusive development. These objectives mean an increased focus on climate finance, including investing in green infrastructure; on financing digital transformation; and on driving inclusive outcomes, including through gender and diversity finance.
- We changed our name to British International Investment in 2022, to more accurately reflect our central role in the UK Government’s international financing offer.
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Ghana and Singapore; with additional locations opening soon.
- We take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract, and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 600 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us and the new strategy at bii.co.uk
Team and role overview
- BII has a range of specialist staff within its Impact Group who support the design and delivery of its impact agenda. The Environment and Social Governance – Impact (ESG-I) is one of these.
- Environment and Social Governance – Impact: A team of approximately 30 based in London, India, Nigeria and South Africa which is involved in all BII investments and provides assurance that BII’s Policy on Responsible Investing (PRI) is applied on all deals, and that BII is proactive in helping its borrowers, investee companies and fund managers achieve larger and more positive E&S impacts (adding ESG value to BII transactions/portfolio companies/financial institutions).
- The Associate’s primary role will be to work with the transaction and regional coverage teams to ensure that the requirements of BII’s PRI are met in financial intermediation and direct transactions. Specifically, this will involve due diligence, portfolio monitoring, technical advice and value add to investees/ project sponsors (particularly financial institutions), as well as participation in broader ESG-I team activities. The successful candidate should ideally have relevant experience in E&S risk management in relation to private sector investment in emerging markets, and across a range of direct and intermediated financial product types. The successful candidate will:
- Work with the ESG-I team to support due diligence (DD) of transactions including, but not limited to, (i) commissioning and managing E&S DD processes, (ii) developing and negotiating E&S Action Plans with investees (particularly financial institutions), (iii) inputting into investment committee papers and participating in Investment Committee meetings and quarterly portfolio meetings, (iv) agreeing E&S aspects of legal and investment agreements and (v) monitoring the E&S aspects of BII’s portfolio companies. This will involve working with different teams within ESG, ultimately building up a product specialism and portfolio in a range of direct and intermediated products
- Work with BII’s investment teams to ensure that BII’s E&S requirements and policies are consistently applied by all investees.
- Work with investees to improve their E&S systems, policies and procedures, including the negotiation of action plans where necessary.
- Work with other ESG-I team members to develop and implement a range of E&S tools and guidance, training and capacity building, as well as internal procedures and processes to enable our clients to demonstrate and assure appropriate E&S performance.
- Contribute to periodic reports on E&S matters for internal and external parties.
- Meet with financial institutions, companies, institutions, and fund managers as well as visiting sub-borrowers and portfolio companies as part of BII’s due diligence and on-going portfolio monitoring.
- Collecting E&S information as part of BII’s knowledge management system.
- Collate lessons learnt to provide BII with guidance on how to deliver bigger and more impactful change, and to develop case studies and guidance for BII and wider audiences.
- Provide input to quarterly reports, Board and shareholder meetings and other forums at which the E&S performance of the portfolio is being discussed.
- Perform research and prepare guidance on E&S priority topics, as needed.
Background, skills, aptitude
- Advanced university degree (MSc or equivalent) in a relevant discipline including environmental management, environmental law, social sciences, economics, development studies or finance, or a similar area.
- Strong collaborative skills and a proven ability to work in a collegiate and supportive manner in a matrix environment.
- Strong communication skills, including report writing, use of PowerPoint and diagrams to present information in a concise format, and oral communication.
- Relevant experience in banking or non-banking financial services (including via consulting or advisory roles) with experience in emerging markets relevant to BII.
- The ability to be persuasive as well as to listen and pragmatically identify when compromise is required.
- Highly motivated and results driven.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills – strong data analytical skills (excel, Power BI etc a benefit).
- Excellent logic reasoning and structure in thought and communications.
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage and prioritise a busy and diverse workload with a range of deliverables for a variety of stakeholders.
- Enjoy working as part of a team, collaborating and coordinating where appropriate.
- Ability to support colleagues, as well as to take on board advice.
- Good judgement and attention to detail.
- Practical experience and knowledge of E&S issues as they apply to BII’s clients (including in the development of E&S policies and procedures, E&S management systems, capacity building and E&S governance and these operate in intermediated structures).
- Familiarity with the application of IFC Performance Standards to investments.
- Familiarity with, and a strong interest in, environmental, social and or labour/ job quality issues and their relevance in a private sector investment context.
- Experience assessing the appropriateness of E&S management systems.
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by BII’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity.
- Ability to travel for up to 50 days a year often at short notice, or who is currently based in our investment geographies.
- Foreign language skills (especially French and/or Arabic)
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
British International Investment is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application