Website Boston Financial
Purpose & Job Summary
The Senior Director, Impact Investments for American Community Capital, LLC (ACC), is a newly created position on Boston Financial’s Preservation and Impact Investing team. They will leverage strong community development financial institutions (CDFI) experience to drive strategy to expand Boston Financial’s multifamily investment offerings while continuing its legacy of “best in class” service and reputation for quality investments across the U.S. The Senior Director will play an integral role in the expansion of ACC by participating in all facets of the platform; from design to deployment of ACC’s offerings including structuring, capital raising, negotiating, and management of clients. Ideally, they will have extensive Community Development Financial Institution Fund (CDFI Fund) experience working with affordable housing-related offerings. American Community Capital, LLC (ACC), a subsidiary of Boston Financial, has an exemplary track record of providing innovative loan products designed to support affordable housing sponsors and developments for tenants with incomes at or below 80% of the area median income. ACC is led by Boston Financial’s Chief Production Officer and draws upon Boston Financial for referrals, resources, and other support. ACC was recently certified as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) Loan Fund and Boston Financial plans to build on ACC’s success by beginning to leverage third-party capital and expanding ACC’s offerings.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads the development of a comprehensive ACC CDFI Loan Fund strategy and growth plan that ensures the design of offerings are consistent with Boston Financial’s business plan, ACC’s mission, and that align with investor goals (financial, CRA, ESG, etc.) and market need.
- Establishes and manages successful relationships and partnerships within Boston Financial and with institutional investors, investing in the ACC CDFI Loan Fund
- In collaboration with the Boston Financial Team, establishes goals, KPIs, and evaluation metrics for the CDFI partnership activities to be tracked and communicated throughout the lifetime of those responsibilities; Ensures reporting and cadence of communications to keep Asset Management and others apprised of the status of key criteria of existing investments.
- In collaboration with the Boston Financial Team, establishes all requisite processes and procedures necessary to successfully develop, originate, underwrite, negotiate, close, and memorialize ACC offerings to the satisfaction of all parties, ORIX, Boston Financial, investors, and developers.
- Prepares, reviews, and coordinates the materials to be sent to investors on each deal, throughout the life cycle; Collaborates with other members of the team to communicate investor needs with regard to impact tracking and reporting
- Works with Originations, Credit & Underwriting, and outside legal counsel to structure, price, and mitigate risk for all transactions; this will include response to questions from investors and identifying solutions to issues as they arise
- Represents ACC at relevant industry events and collaborates with Boston Financial Team to create an effective marketing strategy for ACC and assists with the cultivation of new investor relationships by informing and preparing marketing materials, proposals, and presenting financial models
- Will lead the Salesforce CRM Implementation Project Team, in conjunction and collaboration with the Information Technology Team and others, for ACC to track deal flow and data collection
- Coordinates response to requests from compliance consultant and gathers necessary data to complete ACC annual recertification.
- Manages 1 individual contributor (Sr. Analyst, Analytics and Modeling)
- Manages work distribution and alignments and ensures deliverables are consistently on track and of the highest quality
- In collaboration with Human Resources, is an advocate of, and responsible for, the execution of the full performance cycle management for the team to include goal setting, check-ins, performance measures, performance evaluations, and development planning.
- Provides coaching and direction to staff in their own development and leads efforts to create a climate that fosters high engagement, belonging and inclusion, and talent retention.
- Proactively supports change management initiatives for own staff and supports and participates in, cross-organization efforts, as required.
- Encourages collaboration, information sharing, and discussion to break down silos, create synergies, and share best practices.
You will engage and collaborate with a wide variety of company staff across multiple teams and departments at all management levels within the organization (including the Investment Valuation Team, Account Managers, Originators, and Capital Officers. In addition, you will engage routinely with a wide variety of external partners, including clients, investors, developers, and others.
Education, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business, preferred; Advanced degree in real estate or related, a plus
- Typically, 12-15 years of experience in the real estate industry with 7‐10 years related affordable housing experience, preferably with a working understanding of LIHTCs (as a lender, investor, or syndicator), desired and 5-6 years of CDFI experience, highly preferred
- Candidates who have direct experience with for-profit CDFIs are strongly preferred
- Experience working with institutional investors, with a track record of providing excellent client service
- Understanding of complex real estate and financial transactions, conventional multifamily return terminology and methodology, and partnerships
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to inspire and motivate, hold self and others accountable, and ensure an inclusive people environment that consistently seeks out the value that each individual brings to the team, fosters professional excellence, continual growth, and contributes to the evolution of business practices
- Ability to manage complex workload and prioritize appropriately, delegating appropriate
- Adept at fostering productive cross-function and cross constituent teams
- Strong analytical skills; Excellent critical thinking skills; Demonstrated strong problem‐solving skills; Attention to detail
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Ability to interact appropriately, and communicate effectively, with a wide range of individuals including peers, subordinates, senior management, developers, investors, and other stakeholders
- Solid project management skills with the ability to balance multiple demanding projects and meet firm deliverable deadlines
- Goal-oriented with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Strong MS Office skills: High degree of proficiency with Outlook, Teams, Zoom, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Must have an understanding of general accounting principles
- Salesforce experience, a plus
ORIX Corporation USA and its affiliates (“ORIX Group USA”) strive to achieve as safe an office environment as possible for employees. Accordingly, ORIX Group USA would like to see our vaccination rates against COVID-19 as close to 100% as possible. As of October 4, 2021, employees of any ORIX Group USA company are required to submit proof of vaccination in order to access any of the Company’s offices, unless they have an approved medical or religious exemption. In Texas, in accordance with state law, employees will not be compelled to be vaccinated if they object for any reason of personal conscience, based on a religious belief, or for medical reasons, including prior recovery from COVID-19. Should you receive an offer of employment, more information about how to submit proof of vaccination or an exemption request will be provided. Please note that for most roles, ORIX Group USA’s expectation is that the majority of employees will need to come into the office more often than not, and that some employees need to come in full-time. In other words, as a condition of employment, you should expect that if you accept a position at ORIX Group USA you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before your start date, or request and receive an approved exemption shortly thereafter.
Boston Financial Investment Management, LP and its parent company, ORIX USA, is an equal opportunity employer, providing equal employment opportunities (EEO), and is committed to diversifying its workforce. All employees and applicants for employment will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, protected veteran status or other status protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.