Bank | Asset Manager
100 King Street West
Job Family Group:
BMO GAM’s Responsible Investment team overseas the firm’s ESG initiatives and supports all investment teams in integrating ESG considerations into the investment process. In addition to supporting investment processes, the team owns and executes on BMO GAM’s firm wide commitments to responsible investment, develops thought leadership on emerging ESG topics and employs a progressive approach to active ownership activities. The team works with both internal and external stakeholders across all sales channels in both asset management and the wider wealth businesses.
The ESG Integration Manager, Responsible Investment conducts investment research to support portfolio and business objectives, including researching managers and/or performing analysis that supports portfolio management and the development of new investment strategies. Works closely with Portfolio Managers and the portfolio management team to capture research in the portfolio management process.
- Work with portfolio managers to support the integration of material ESG risks and opportunities in the investment analysis process across asset classes
- Support investment professionals (Analysts and PMs) on accessing and analysing ESG data related to their respective asset class and coverage area
- Understand materiality frameworks to advise Analysts and PMs on how to incorporate ESG factors into their modelling
- Partner with Product and the relevant investment team to develop credible ESG reporting across fund range
- Develop narrative on our ESG integration strategy by asset class to be used in client marketing material
- Work with the Business Architecture and Data & Business Support teams along with third-party data providers to integrate ESG analytics into in-house portfolio management systems
- Recommend, procure and integrate applicable ESG data for all asset classes to support investment decision making process
- Work with multi-asset and product to carry out robust ESG due diligence with sub-advisors
- Coordinate and align with business lines across BMO Financial Group to ensure consistent integration of ESG characteristics in reporting to end investors
Customer Service Advisory
- Acts as a trusted subject matter expert to assigned investment sector(s) or coverage area.
- Influences and negotiates to achieve investment objectives.
- Recommends and implements solutions or recommendations based on analysis of issues and implications for the investment sector and/or portfolio.
- May assist in the development of sector or portfolio strategies
- Identifies emerging issues and trends to inform decision-making.
Strategy / Strategic Initiatives
- Conducts independent analysis and assessment to contribute to team priorities or strategies to resolve strategic issues
- Monitors and tracks performance, and addresses any issues across products, portfolios, and holdings.
- Designs and produces regular and ad-hoc reports, and dashboards.
- Analyses complex data and information to provide insights and recommendations.
- May manage databases and provide support for analysis, forecasting and/or data visualization, ensuring adherence with data governance standards
- Employs systems (e.g. customized exception reports, tracking reports, etc.) to manage information.
- Integrates information from multiple sources to enable more efficient processes, enhanced analysis and/or streamlined research.
- Works with more senior staff on larger and/or more complex client portfolios or mandates, territories, issues and relationships.
- Typically require 10+ years of direct or relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience, in Asset Management
- Strong foundation in quantitative analysis, statistics, econometrics, modelling, and/or big data processing
- Experience using quantitative and qualitative ESG data and the ability to translate complexities into concrete recommendations for investment decision-makers
- Experience working on ESG issues applied in an investment context (quantifying ESG risks and opportunities into valuations)
- Portfolio management experience an asset and a broad understanding of the nuances between asset classes (equity, fixed income, ETFs, alternatives)
- Growing understanding of the market. In-depth analytical and interpretive skills; capable of sourcing and identifying pertinent factors from large volumes of information.
- In-depth organizational skills; strong attention to detail and risk. Able to maintain effectiveness, accuracy and performance in a fast-paced and demanding environment with multiple concurrent priorities.
- Deep knowledge and technical proficiency gained through extensive education and business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills – In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills – In-depth.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills – In-depth.
- Influence skills – In-depth.
- Data driven decision making – In-depth.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Note to Recruiters: BMO does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to BMO, directly or indirectly, will be considered BMO property. BMO will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. A recruiting agency must first have a valid, written and fully executed agency agreement contract for service to submit resumes.