About this role
Charged with establishing BlackRock as clients’ preeminent partner in alternative investing globally, BlackRock Alternatives is one of the top five largest alternative asset managers in the world today. We are active in all asset classes and connect them in ways other firms can’t match, operating on an integrated platform consisting of real estate, infrastructure, credit, private equity and hedge funds. Our scale means we offer expertise and access unique to BlackRock, and you’ll collaborate with teams across our firm in unexpected ways. As part of a key growth engine for the firm, you’ll be invited to continue building the platform that is shaping the future of Alts investing by creating and evolving innovative investment ideas and tech solutions on a team that continuously outperforms – setting new standards.
The transition to a low-carbon economy presents historic investment opportunities and challenges for clients – on par with the rise of emerging markets and digitization in recent decades. BlackRock has established a new business, Transition Capital, which will operate within BlackRock Alternatives to provide investment support to our clients in their energy transition ambitions.
Transition Capital will partner with portfolio managers and BlackRock Capital Markets to source and invest in proprietary transition-focused opportunities across asset classes and geographies. It will collaborate with BlackRock Sustainable and Transition Solutions, the BlackRock Alternatives Sustainable Investing team, and the Global Product Group to develop new investment strategies and funds. The team will also work with the Sustainable Investment Research & Analytics group to deepen the firm’s investment research capabilities and with the Global Client Business to engage with clients.
BlackRock is seeking an Associate to join the Transition Capital team (“TC”) in BlackRock Alternatives. The Associate, based in New York, will partner with TC leaders to deliver on strategic and commercial priorities, including but not limited to commercial partnerships, product launches, and investment opportunities. This is an entrepreneurial role with exposure to all aspects of launching a new business at BlackRock.
This is a generalist role which will require participation in a diverse set of workstreams across the TC platform. Staffing will be determined based on workstream needs, capacity, interest, and development opportunities. The ideal candidate would be excited to participate in all of the below activities.
Set and drive strategic direction
- Work with TC leaders to activate an integrated strategy for the TC platform – encompassing fit within firm corporate strategy, opportunity sizing across geographies / client segments / high level asset classes, challenge identification and scoping, and overall growth trajectory and priorities
- Partner with investment, product, and client teams to translate high-level opportunities into actionable client / product strategies
- Develop and maintain industry and competitive intelligence that can inform business opportunities
Advance partnerships with large corporates
- Help to identify the set of corporates who are integral to de-risking transition-related investment and support strategic partnerships as necessary
- Partner with BlackRock Corporate Solutions and Transition Capital COO to optimize corporate coverage and reduce redundancy
- Develop collateral on transition-related corporate engagement
Support deal qualification and inorganic processes
- Work with senior TC colleagues in assessing potential investment opportunities and managing deal review processes (e.g., pipeline, NDA management, documentation review, preliminary due diligence)
- Work with senior TC colleagues and BlackRock’s Corporate Development team to vet and, where appropriate, pursue inorganic / investment partnership opportunities
Elevate and communicate the Transition Capital strategy
- Work with Sustainable Investment Research & Analytics to develop new thought leadership collateral
- Support the TC team in communicating strategic priorities and execution plans across the firm and external stakeholders (including clients) via presentations and written communications
Experience & Skills
- 3-5 years of relevant experience, ideally focused on client coverage, M&A, or strategy at an asset manager, investment bank, consulting firm, private equity firm, or complex multinational corporation
- Self-starter, eager to help set up a new business that is interconnected with key growth areas across BlackRock
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills; strategic and creative thinking aptitude
- Familiarity with financial modeling, financial statement analysis, and/or investing due diligence & company valuation, and/or demonstrated willingness or interest in improving these skills
- Strong interest in the energy transition, sustainable investing, and private markets
- Ability to deliver in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and multiple demands
- Ability to clearly articulate ideas, both written and oral, to internal and external audiences across levels of seniority
- High-level proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree with strong record of academic achievement
For New York City only: The salary range for this position is $109,250 – $130,000. Additionally, employees are eligible for an annual discretionary bonus, and benefits including heath care, leave benefits, and retirement benefits. BlackRock operates a pay-for-performance compensation philosophy and your total compensation may vary based on role, location, and firm, department and individual performance.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
Our hybrid work model
BlackRock’s current hybrid work model is designed to enable in-person connections and collaboration that is core to our culture, while supporting increased flexibility for all employees. In line with local health guidance and regulations, employees are required to work at least 3 days in the office each week, with the flexibility to work from home up to 2 days a week. Some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. The health, safety and well-being of our people will always be our top priorities; we will continue to monitor local conditions and health advisories in making decisions about our work environments.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.