About this role
Analyst, Sustainable Investing Research and Analytics
About This Role
Elevate your career by joining a fast-growing, global sustainability research team that is at the heart of the world’s largest asset manager. Joining BlackRock means becoming a part of a community of talented and curious people who are tackling some of the world’s most complex financial and sustainability challenges. And our founder-led culture has maintained its entrepreneurial feel — we work hard, we work fast, and we work with purpose.
What team will you be on?
The BlackRock Investment Institute (BII) team is at the heart of BlackRock’s investment debate and portfolio construction. Within BII, the Sustainable Investing Research and Analytics Team (SIRA) leads on researching the investment risks & opportunities of the sustainability transition. In doing so, SIRA evaluates the investment implications of a range of sustainability dynamics, translates sustainability insights into investment and portfolio implications, and crafts innovative investment solutions that address clients’ sustainability objectives alongside their financial objectives. With over $700 billion in sustainable assets under management, BlackRock leverages our differentiated investment platform, proprietary technology, data analytics, deep sustainability expertise and culture of innovation to offer sustainable solutions to our clients.
Why is your role important?
Are you passionate about financial markets and sustainability? Do you want to do deep research that has direct applications? Do you want to have real impact? Are you ready to learn something new every day? If so, SIRA is the place for you. The best research is produced by bringing together people with different perspectives, skills and experiences.
The person in this role will support a variety of strategic research projects within SIRA, including but not limited to: designing sustainable investment strategies to be deployed in portfolios, sustainability data usage best practices, net zero portfolio analytics, energy transition scenario development and collation, biodiversity and natural capital-related analytics and research, and assessment of sustainable investing policy and trends. Additional project related work may include supporting initiatives related to thought leadership content, materials for client engagements, client service and reporting, and executive briefings to senior management.
BII fosters an inclusive approach, with members at all levels contributing views and challenging them. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds who want to shape the debate.
What will you be doing?
We expect that you will be working across several of the following areas, with likely specialization depending on your specific skill set and experience.
- Investment research
- Support all aspects of fundamental and quantitative sustainability research on the transition to a low-carbon and climate-resilient economy, emerging sustainability themes, supporting the development of specific sustainability-related investment insights and written thought leadership.
- Help us to communicate our research in internal and external publications, client meetings and media appearances – including development of briefing memos, talking points, and presentations for senior leadership.
- Client Strategy and Communications
- Lead the development and approval of materials for client engagements.
- Coordinate across partners teams to deliver on client requests regarding sustainable investment research and investment strategies.
- Support development and use of sustainability-specific client reporting and attribution tools.
- Create performance attribution and commentaries.
- Data and analytics
- Analyze portfolios using Aladdin and python/R tools, after appropriate training.
- Research and summarize emerging energy and climate policies, technology trends, and reports from a diverse set of industry, scientific, and government sources.
- Review sustainability data and methodologies and compare and contrast between different data providers.
- Create and edit databases and conduct statistical analysis on climate and sustainability data.
- Develop effective techniques and infrastructure using the latest machine learning and cloud computing tools to improve how sustainability metrics are incorporated in our portfolios
- Strategy and project management
- Help to organize and execute on team’s top priorities, contributing to short, medium and long-term business strategy and growth plans.
- Conduct industry research and monitor competitor and client activity to support the evaluation, prioritization, and development of new products and research themes.
What are we looking for? We are seeking self-motivated and organized Analysts to join SIRA in multi-faceted roles at the cross-section of sustainability research, climate analytics and modeling, and strategy. We are looking for a range of skills so please consider applying even if the following criteria are not all met.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to synthesize information, summarize issues and think creatively.
- Strong communication skills and ability to distill research for broad consumption.
- Strong statistical modelling and data analysis skills.
- Experienced in Econometrics, especially time series and panel data pattern.
- Demonstrate intermediate or advance skills in at least one programming language (C, C++, Java or Python)
- Experience with cloud environments
- Experience with applied machine learning algorithms to real-world datasets. Natural language processing experience is a plus.
- Motivated team player, flexible in approach and ability to work independently and effectively across time zones.
- Proactive and responsive with keen attention to detail and a strong sense of ownership.
- An ambitious spirit that is ready to take on a full range of tasks and pursue additional responsibility quickly
- Four-year college degree
- Location: Budapest (not flexible)
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of employee benefits including: retirement investment and tools designed to help you in building a sound financial future; access to education reimbursement; comprehensive resources to support your physical health and emotional well-being; family support programs; and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
Our hybrid work model
BlackRock’s hybrid work model is designed to enable a culture of collaboration and apprenticeship that enriches the experience of our employees, while supporting flexibility for all. Employees are currently required to work at least 4 days in the office per week, with the flexibility to work from home 1 day a week. Some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. We remain focused on increasing the impactful moments that arise when we work together in person – aligned with our commitment to performance and innovation. As a new joiner, you can count on this hybrid model to accelerate your learning and onboarding experience here at BlackRock.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected characteristics at law.