Closing date: October 6, 2022
Use your research, investment, and data science skills in a fast-growing company where you can have an impact. The British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCI) is currently seeking a Public Markets, ESG integration co-op student/intern for the Winter 2023 and/or Summer 2023 work term (January to April and/or May-August) to provide research and analytics support across a range of ESG integration activities, including ESG reviews, proxy voting, and company engagements.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
BCI manages a globally diversified portfolio of assets valued at $211.1 billion and is one of Canada’s largest institutional investors. We invest globally to support pension and other funds for more than 30 clients based in British Columbia. We are proud to have been chosen as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and BC’s Top Employers. These national and provincial competitions recognize employers who offer exceptional workplaces for their employees.
The Public Markets, ESG Integration co-op/intern will work with our ESG Integration team in the Public Markets department. Our ESG team covers a range of asset classes including public equities, fixed income, private debt, and partnership portfolio. We conduct ESG integration as part of investment decisions for all internal active funds. We engage with portfolio companies, policy makers and standard setters to advance ESG disclosure and performance. We vote our proxies at the annual general meetings of all publicly traded portfolio companies, and we report to clients and publicly on sustainability issues and outcomes. In your role, you will have the opportunity to support the team in these activities and contribute creative solutions to the ESG integration process.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
The Public Markets group manages a global equity and fixed income portfolio currently comprised of nearly half of BCI’s total portfolio utilizing both index and active management strategies. The group invests in Canada, the U.S., and internationally in both the developed and emerging markets. In addition, BCI is a leader in responsible investing actively integrating environmental, social and governance factors (ESG) into our investment analysis and decision making.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Work under the supervision of the Associate, ESG and Analyst, ESG to assist with various projects.
- Collect and analyze data as part of our ESG review processes to benchmark disclosure and performance for given peer groups.
- Deliver initial ESG reviews in support to the analysts and associates on the team.
- Take meeting notes and help prepare for ESG company engagement.
- Work on data visualization projects to enhance ESG integration activities.
- Ad-hoc projects and tasks as assigned by the team.
- A fundamental knowledge of basic business and investment-related disciplines is essential
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining accuracy, excellent product quality, and attention to detail
- Has a keen interest in ESG and investment management, a dedication to hard work, commitment to the highest ethical standards, and an eagerness to learn
- Strong research skills combined with analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook
- Experience with data visualization tools such as PowerBI and Tableau is preferred
- Working knowledge of coding languages like SQL, and Python would be an asset
- Familiarity with Bloomberg would be an asset
WHAT WE OFFER
- Excellent career development and training by helping the candidate to understand all aspects of ESG integration
- Work with a dynamic team in a fast-paced environment
- The development of hands-on skills at one of the largest institutional investors in Canada
- Exposure to some of the most talented, approachable, and inspiring people in the industry
- Time to connect with co-op students & interns at BCI – build your network and shared learning
- 2 paid days for volunteering per year
- Work term: Winter 2023 (January to April) and/or Summer 2023 (May to August)
- Department: Public Markets
- Office Location: 750 Pandora Avenue, Victoria, BC
- Spend your off hours exploring beautiful Victoria and Vancouver Island
- Travel: if coming to Victoria for this work term, BCI will provide a fixed-rate travel allowance based on your location
- All co-ops/internships will need to be completed in person at our Victoria office. We are piloting a hybrid program whereby employees may work from home up to two days per week. Please note, some positions are not eligible for hybrid work.
HOW TO APPLY
- Apply directly to the ESG Integration Co-op/Internship posting on our careers page https://bci.wd10.myworkdayjobs.com/BCI_Careers
- Application deadline: October 6, 2022, at 11:59 pm PT
- Please upload a cover letter, resume, and transcripts (unofficial transcript will suffice)
- Note: The ability to legally work full-time in Canada for the duration of your work term is a condition of employment at BCI
*** BCI has previously enacted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the wellbeing of all employees. This policy is currently suspended and may be reinstated based on level of risk to BCI employees or Provincial Health Order requirements.