Closing Date: Open until filled
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your resume and related information by email to Golnaz Yekrangian, Senior Client Partner, Head of Infrastructure Investing, Korn Ferry (Golnaz.Yekrangian@KornFerry.com) with “Director, ESG, I&RR – BCI” in the subject line.
Only qualified candidates who match the requirements will be contacted.
Please do not submit your application directly to BCI. Applications submitted through this site will not be reviewed.
BCI is seeking an individual who will play a leadership role in heightening BCI’s commitment to ESG. For the I&RR portfolio, the commitment to ESG is foundational to the duties as a responsible investor and, increasingly, it serves as a vital source of investment insight and strategy. In this regard, BCI’s ESG vision is rooted in principles of active and constructive engagement to drive improvement.
Key components of this role include advancing BCI’s thinking on actively managing the carbon footprint of the I&RR portfolio, and constructively participating in the global energy transition; elevating focus on stakeholder management, from BCI’s clients to the customers and employees of its portfolio companies; and striving for continuous improvement on all aspects of ESG, within BCI’s existing portfolio and as it pertains to the underwriting of new investments.
Strategic Thought Leadership
- Provide thought leadership vis a vis current portfolio as well as what the portfolio might look like in the future. Help form strategy around the push into the new frontiers of investing with ESG as an investment strategy.
- Determine key priorities for current portfolio of assets as it relates to ESG.
- Spearhead the evolution of I&RR’s ESG strategy, driving implementation through development of best practices, procedures, and systems to scale implementation.
- Establish and drive portfolio level climate impact measurement and policy as well as influencing best practice around measurement, reporting and goal setting at a portfolio company level.
- Collaborate with other BCI departments on corporate ESG strategy, knowledge sharing, and other initiatives.
- Serve as a thought leader on industry and broader ESG trends, actively identifying partnerships, industry organizations and experts for the group to partner with to further their efforts on ESG.
- Provide education and training on specific ESG risks and opportunities.
- Present internally and externally on I&RR’s ESG initiatives.
- Augment investment decision-making through active involvement in investment pipeline and portfolio review meetings, and in investment committee meetings, as required.
Investment Due Diligence
- Support deal teams with the ESG diligence for prospective investments, either as an integrated deal team member or advisor. This includes developing scopes of work for external advisors, assessing the salience of issues as they arise, and developing mitigation measures.
- Develop and drive best practices in diligence across key and recurring ESG workstreams for various infrastructure sub-sectors.
- Build a network of advisory and other relationships to support bespoke ESG diligence.
- Synthesize key findings and support preparation of executive-level investment memos and presentations.
- Establish and standardize more consistent and robust data collection and reporting across the full portfolio.
- Coordinate with internal coverage teams to identify ESG improvement opportunities, develop plans to close gaps and oversee execution to deliver impact.
- Develop constructive relationships with portfolio companies. Take lead in introducing them to BCI’s ESG policies and support them in mitigating ESG risks and advancing their sustainability strategies.
- Facilitate knowledge and experience sharing – internally and externally – by leading the development of playbooks, facilitating roundtables, and mentoring colleagues.
- Support in annual benchmarking and investor reporting (e.g., UN PRI, carbon measurement).
- Represent BCI on select portfolio company Board of Directors.
Professional Experience and Capabilities
This role will suit a strategic, dynamic, and enthusiastic individual with a passion for continuous improvement on all aspects of ESG. The ideal candidate will have experience in ESG related investments and sustainability strategy.
Ideal experience includes:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the investment management profession including a focus on ESG, consulting or in a senior corporate role, advancing commitments to sustainability through business strategy.
- Significant experience leading ESG workstreams in due diligence for prospective investments/M&A.
- Experience in or knowledge of infrastructure investments.
- Experience leading and managing portfolio-level risk and value-creation initiatives.
- Experience advising on most effective communication of ESG plans, processes and wins.
Ideal candidates will also bring the following capabilities:
Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to build lasting trust-based relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Successful track record of taking initiative to maximize impact, guided by an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Ability to work both autonomously and in a team setting.
Excellent communication skills
- Clarity and concision in writing and speaking, underpinned by structured thinking.
- Comfortable presenting to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and being able to build the ‘big picture’ from an understanding of wide-ranging facts and perspectives.
- Strategic problem solver with practical bias to drive impact.
- Ability to lead through influence and earn buy-in from relevant stakeholders.
- Approaches long term challenges with patience and humility.
- Displays self-awareness and values feedback.
- Invites and integrates different perspectives.
MBA and/or CFA is considered an asset.
WHY WORK AT BCI?
BCI is one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and has built programs and benefits to support all our employees.
As an employee of BCI you will have access to benefits such as:
- Extended health and dental coverage
- 20 days vacation per year
- Participation in our defined benefit pension plan
- 2 days paid for volunteering
- Various wellness benefits
Please note: This role is in our Victoria-based office. We offer relocation support for the selected candidate. BCI is piloting a hybrid program whereby a majority of employees may work from home up to two days per week. Please note, some positions are not eligible for hybrid work.
BCI has previously enacted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the wellbeing of all employees. This policy is currently suspended and may be reinstated based on level of risk to BCI employees or Provincial Health Order requirements.