Website Bain Capital
Asset Manager | Private Equity
Bain Capital Overview
Bain Capital, LP is one of the world’s leading private multi-asset alternative investment firms with over $160 billion of assets under management that creates lasting impact for our investors, teams, businesses, and communities in which we live. Since our founding in 1984, we have applied our insight and experience to organically expand into several asset classes including private equity, credit, public equity, venture capital and real estate. We leverage our shared platform to capture cross-asset class opportunities in strategic areas of focus. With offices on four continents, our global team aligns our interests with those of our investors for lasting impact.
This position is a unique opportunity to work collaboratively with a small team and play an active role in driving sustainability/climate projects for the firm. The ESG Manager will report directly to the Global Head of ESG and work daily with the Private business investment teams, the management of its portfolio companies, members of the ESG community (e.g., consultants) and other members of the Bain Capital platform. Responsibilities will include:
- Help drive ESG integration, further incorporating ESG into our investment processes, expanding our tool kit)
- Work directly with private equity, venture and other private business units and firm resources on select ESG projects
- Align ESG integration approach with best practices and leading methodologies/ reporting frameworks, contributing to enhanced due diligence and portfolio approach
- Support portfolio companies as needed to execute, accelerate, and augment sustainability and climate strategies
- Help evolve sustainability/climate approach, helping portfolio companies measurably reduce environmental impact in line with their strategies
- Operationalize approach, including advisors, perspectives, approach, on how to deploy in companies and adjust for different company contexts (i.e., global industrial company versus fast growing tech company)
- Contribute to thought leadership on innovations and regulation around environmental topics and specifically on carbon
- Further refine and manage reporting and KPI improvement initiatives across portfolio companies, along with the investment team
- Engage with the broader ESG community to build partnerships and share best practices, including attending conferences
- Support the work of the Firm’s Sustainability/Climate team; identify potential goals, targets and reporting methodology.
- Internal and external ESG reporting including quantitative and qualitative content, communicating with investors as needed
- Assist in developing the Firm and Private investment businesses communications around ESG.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in management consulting strongly preferred; ESG and impact investing or impact advisory firms is ideal.
- Strong candidates should possess at least 5-7 years of total full-time work experience.
- Passion for and experience in sustainability, with pragmatic, value creating mindset and ability to develop ESG strategies ESG process design, evaluation and/or management
- Experience driving operational change in businesses (preferred)
- Excellent professional and academic track record
- Ability to operate with limited supervision
- Highly organized and results-oriented working style
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Dedicated team player with a strong sense of ownership
- Bachelor’s Degree; strong academic credentials
- 5-7 years post undergraduate experience; financial services, sustainability and ESG is a plus
- Superior written, project and aural communication skills.
- Ability to interface successfully and collaboratively with numerous internal stakeholders
- Experience working with senior management
Effective November 1, 2021, all new U.S. hires must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (e.g. 14 days past their final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine and if eligible, have received their COVID-19 booster) or have received a religious or medical exemption from Bain Capital’s Human Resources team.