Temasek is an investment company with a net portfolio value of S$381B (~US$280B) as of 31 March 2021. Its three roles as an Investor, Institution and Steward, as defined in the Temasek Charter, shape Temasek’s ethos to do well, do right and do good. Temasek actively seeks sustainable solutions to address present and future challenges, through investment and other opportunities that help to bring about a better, smarter and more sustainable world. For more information on Temasek, please visit www.temasek.com.sg.
ESG Investment Management (ESG IM) is part of the Portfolio Strategy & Risk Group (PSRG) that provides guidance on our strategic direction and portfolio objectives. ESG IM partners closely with teams across the Investment Group (IG) and the broader institution to advance ESG as a core engine across Temasek’s global investments to build a resilient and forward-looking portfolio which has sustainability at the core. Specifically, ESG IM’s areas of focus are as follows:
- Deepening and expanding ESG integration across the investment process to both manage risks and drive sustainable value creation across the portfolio
- Integrating climate risks and opportunities, strengthening climate readiness of investees, and advancing portfolio decarbonisation
- Harnessing ESG investment insights and originating, evaluating and executing new ESG investment strategies and strategic partnerships (“ESG Investing”)
- Strengthening ESG data, analytics and tools that support investment decisions, monitoring and reporting of ESG metrics, and ESG capabilities and best practices
ESG IM is seeking to hire an experienced professional to oversee and drive the “Social (S)” agenda as part of Temasek’s ESG strategic priorities. The individual will be part of the ESG integration team and work closely with the Director of ESG IM and key stakeholder groups across the organisation to drive the implementation of a social roadmap aligned with Temasek’s roles as an investor, institution, and steward. This includes the formulation and implementation of a strategic roadmap of core priorities, establishing a baseline of portfolio performance on “S” issues, deepening understanding of critical “S” issues across sectors and markets, setting portfolio expectations and targets, supporting engagement to advance best practices, and developing thought leadership on critical themes. The role will require close partnership with the Sustainability Group and Organisation & People on institutional related expectations and targets.
- Drive the institutional roadmap on “S” issues: Advance a strategic “S” roadmap with core focus areas, commitments and targets for long-term implementation that align with Temasek’s sustainability priorities. Build institutional consensus and drive collaborative partnerships across the organisation. Formulate our expectations on key social issues for portfolio companies and GPs and advance best practices.
- Deepen and expand “S” considerations in the investment process: Implement a more expansive set of internal guidelines for evaluating materially relevant “S” issues in the pre-investment stage, which take into account both global best practices, local market and sectoral considerations. Build scalable solutions and toolkits that provide a comprehensive and systematic approach to identifying, evaluating and managing “S” risks and opportunities across our diverse global portfolio.
- Engage portfolio companies to accelerate adoption of best practices: Analyse and benchmark current performance, identify appropriate engagement approach, and provide views on the implementation of strategic and operational improvements. Track ongoing progress and monitor execution, while supporting portfolio companies to drive these initiatives forward.
- Build expertise around core “S” topics: Stay ahead of best practices and evolving views on rapidly changing themes such as the gig economy, labor, human rights, supply chain, data privacy, technology ethics, and workforce of the future. Share insights and help build “S” capabilities across the organisation and with portfolio companies and broader ecosystem on best practices, evolving standards, and investor expectations from leading coalitions and practitioners.
These responsibilities will require the individual to closely partner with the Sustainability Group and key teams in the organisation including IG, PDG, and O&P as well as build and nurture critical relationships across the Temasek ecosystem of portfolio companies, platforms, and expert networks.
Professional Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor degree in Business, Social Sciences, Law, Public Policy, Sustainability, or related disciplines; Master’s degree or higher in relevant area is a plus
- 5-7 years of work experience in ESG / sustainability related roles with a focus on “S” issues; Experience / responsibility across global markets is strongly preferred
- In-depth understanding of key reference frameworks and standards, such as the UN Global Compact, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Core Labor Standards of the International Labor Organization (ILO), the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights and the UK Modern Slavery Act
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to navigate complexity, influence and build consensus
- Strong sense of purpose and intellectual curiosity and passion for “S” themes with ability to inspire and catalyse others to action
- Strong team player with intercultural awareness and ability to work across geographies and diverse teams
- Strong communication, writing and presentation skills
- Strong work ethic with demonstrated track record of initiating, driving, and executing across multiple initiatives
- Flexible and adaptable, with ability to work hours that extend across time zones
As an active global investor, and a forward looking institution, Temasek hires and develops its people consistent with our MERITT values of Meritocracy, Excellence, Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Trust. We believe there is not only value in diversity, but the cross fertilisation of experiences and ideas across geographies, and the ability to connect the diverse dots, has become one of our key strengths which we can build on as we continue to transform and evolve, and aim for a new Temasek 2030. Applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds are encouraged.