Website Apollo Global Management
Apollo is uniquely positioned to drive a more sustainable future and expand opportunity across our workplace, marketplace and communities. We take an integrated approach, incorporating ESG considerations into everything we do — from how we invest, to how we lend, to how our firm operates globally. Our core values of leading responsibly and championing opportunity not only shape Apollo’s positive impact on society, but also play a critical role in our continued growth and success. Our stakeholders increasingly rely on us to leverage our scale, global network, and deep expertise to deliver positive social returns as well as strong financial performance.
Today, our commitment to sustainability remains a defining attribute of our Firm and embedded in our culture. We see it as more than a risk mitigator but a driver of opportunity and growth. As a part of our commitment, Apollo strives to be an industry leader in ESG data collection, transparency, and engagement with portfolio companies.
In 2022, Apollo launched a comprehensive Sustainable Investing Platform focused on financing and investing in the energy transition and decarbonization of industry. Across asset classes, we target deploying $50 billion in clean energy and climate investments over the next five years, and we see the opportunity to deploy more than $100 billion over 10 years.
As such, the Company seeks a Principal of ESG Integration to support our Sustainable Investing Platform (Climate & Infrastructure) to generate both business-specific and thematic insights in coordination with the other members of the team, with heavy emphasis on environment and sustainability. They will focus on identifying and driving operational and HS&E efficiencies, such as energy usage, carbon emissions, and water consumption, across the portfolios to increase value and profitability.
The Principal of ESG Integration will be responsible for collaborating with other Sustainability, ESG and investment team members to identify and evaluate potential risks and opportunities by leveraging their Sustainability and business model expertise. This newly created position will involve extensive interactions with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including operations and investment teams, portfolio company leadership, vendors, etc. This is a technical and operational role which will be supported by a robust legal and regulatory affairs team for compliance-related matters.
This role will report to Carletta Ooton, Head of ESG for Private Equity and will matrix to the Climate, Infrastructure and Sustainability teams.
- Take a leading role in managing data and reporting relationships within the portfolios, overseeing collection of data from owned and managed assets, driving consistency and completeness in line with mandatory and company requirements.
- Manage Apollo’s Climate/Infrastructure ESG data collection strategy and operating model.
- Develop transformative initiatives based on ESG data gathered and create strategies that increase ESG functionality across portfolio companies.
- Create and apply a broad framework to manage ESG investment considerations.
- Contribute to the management of long-term risks, and to the achievement of long-term sustainable investment returns.
- Collaborate effectively with management team members to implement and verify portfolio KPIs that drive improvements in overall company/investment/portfolio performance.
- Monitor engagement with external fund managers (existing and prospective) with regard to their data approach to ensure their alignment, accuracy and efficiency.
- Support the broader ESG strategy for Apollo, playing a leading role on integration of data and recommendations/strategies on how to use that data moving forward.
- Manage complex projects from initiation, planning and design thru implementation.
- Lead business requirements and technical design discussions as a subject matter expert.
Qualifications & Experience
The ideal candidate has 7+ years of relevant experience in one or more operating companies, real assets, private equity, specifically within the ESG and decarbonization space. They must have expertise in ESG data strategy and reporting with the ability to trust and verify datasets. With verified datasets, they must create and implement business recommendations that improve the overall ESG portfolio.
250,000 – 275,000
The base salary range for this position is listed above. This position is also eligible for a discretionary annual bonus based on personal, team, and Firm performance. Compensation ranges are based on several factors including job function, level, and geographic location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed here.