Website CPP Investments
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investments, you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $500 billion, CPP Investments is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to reach $3 trillion by 2050. CPP Investments invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, San Francisco, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPP Investments attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPP Investments’ important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPP Investments.
We are presently recruiting for an Analyst in the Sustainable Investing (SI) team within the Real Assets department. SI is responsible for all environmental, social and governance (ESG) matters considered in investment and research activities across investment strategies globally, including for climate change. The group’s focus is to make CPP Investments the partner and capital provider of choice for companies that are, or aspire to be, leaders in incorporating ESG considerations to support long-term value creation.
Based in Toronto and reporting to the Managing Director, SI, the analyst will contribute to ESG research on portfolio companies as well as broader sustainability-related themes, including climate change. The successful candidate will work on direct and collaborative corporate engagement initiatives and work directly with deal teams on ESG integration across all of CPP Investments’ investment departments. Candidates will have professional experience related to investment management and demonstrate financial acumen and a genuine passion for ESG topics.
Role specific accountabilities may include:
- Build understanding of a range of ESG factors, including proactively seeking out new information sources to build domain expertise
- Conduct comprehensive quantitative and qualitative research and analyze material company and sector specific ESG issues, in order to support CPP Investments’ investment and asset management activities, including through proxy voting and corporate engagements
- Evaluate and help quantify key climate change-related exposures, risk factors and opportunities related to new and existing investments, and interact effectively with investment teams to incorporate the key exposures in underwriting and asset management
- In order to contribute to the value-add of investment programs, work effectively with existing processes to assist with the integration of material ESG factors across investment and asset management activities
- Prepare accurate input for research documents, presentations, and briefing notes and present (or assist in presenting) them to other members of the Sustainable Investing team, various investment teams, the Sustainable Investing Committee and other internal committees, senior management and external audiences
- Conduct reviews of the investment portfolio as a means of identifying material engagement and/or ESG integration opportunities, and prepare related summary reports
- Proactively monitor and appropriately consider sustainable investing issues, developments and trends, synthesize key findings and explore ways to incorporate into our ESG approach
- Other duties as required
We are committed to an apprenticeship model whereby the Analyst will learn on the job through continuous coaching and training.
If you possess the following, we’d like to hear from you:
- 1 to 3 years of experience in an investment management or investment advisory organization, corporation or international consulting / professional services firm, including policy or ESG advisory roles
- High academic achievement with a university degree in a relevant discipline
- Significant work or academic experience related to ESG matters, or otherwise clearly demonstrated interest in, and willingness to develop domain expertise in sustainability
- Basic knowledge of portfolio management and investment concepts such as that acquired through completion of CFA Level 1 or more
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy while meeting demanding deadlines, managing competing priorities and working in high-pressure situations
- The ability to apply good judgment, think proactively and creatively and develop independent points of view, supported by facts and analysis, and demonstrated intellectual curiosity
- Ability to work well independently and comfortably with some level of ambiguity in demands as well as collaboratively in a broader team environment
- Solid research, analytical, financial modeling, valuation and problem solving skills considered an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills, tenacity, and a positive, solutions-focused approach with a track record of working and interacting effectively with others, both internal and external to the organization
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills
- Highly effective written and oral communication and presentation skills, both for internal and external interactions at all levels of the organization
- Fit with CPP Investments values will be given the highest importance. Specifically, we will be looking for candidates that can work inclusively in a team environment with a high degree of professionalism and that exemplify our Guiding Principles of Integrity, Partnership, and High Performance
When you apply, please include a cover letter.
Visit our LinkedIn Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn.
At CPP Investments, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity:
In addition to being dedicated to building a workforce that reflects diverse talent, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible experience. If you require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms, etc.), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
CPP Investments does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investments to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investments will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.
Mandatory Vaccine Policy
All employees in the Toronto, New York, San Francisco, Mumbai, Sydney, Hong Kong, and Sao Paulo offices will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations to this policy will be made for medical or other protected grounds. Please contact us to discuss any accommodation needs.