British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCI) offers an exceptional opportunity to work at a world-class organization while living in a west coast setting. With $233 billion of gross assets under management, BCI is the provider of investment management services to British Columbia’s public sector. We invest globally across a range of asset classes and strategies in public and private markets. BCI generates the investment returns that help our British Columbian public sector clients build financially secure futures.
The people who work at BCI are committed, passionate, and approachable. They aim for continuous improvement and share BCI’s core values of clients first, performance focused, world class, accountability, transparency, and integrity. Being recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, Canada’s Top Family-Friendly Employers and BC’s Top Employers exemplifies BCI’s ongoing commitment to be a progressive workplace of choice; one that attracts, retains, and promotes talent so that we can continue to work towards meeting our clients’ financial goals. As an active in-house asset manager, BCI depends on specialized skills and expertise to successfully execute its world-class investment strategies and fulfill client needs. We are currently expanding our team and our skill base to equip BCI for the future.
British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCI) provides investment management services to British Columbia’s public sector, BCI partners with our 32 clients to generate investment returns that will help our clients provide a financially secure future to their members. With our global outlook, we seek investment opportunities that will meet our clients’ risk and return requirements over time. As part of the prudent investment management of our clients’ funds, we aim to mitigate the long-term financial risks that environmental, social, and governance (ESG) matters present. It begins with the integration of ESG considerations into our investment analysis, decisions, and processes in a consistent manner across the corporation. We also invest to leverage the benefits of ESG opportunities to generate attractive investment returns. We invest across a range of asset classes: fixed income; mortgages; public and private equity; real estate; infrastructure; and renewable resources.
While the ESG Group is centralized and structurally embedded within the Public Markets, the role will be dedicated to the Infrastructure and Renewable Resources department.
On behalf of BCI’s clients, the Infrastructure & Renewable Resources (I&RR) team invests globally in infrastructure businesses that provide stable long-term results. BCI’s I&RR portfolio has $20+ billion in AUM and ranks as the ninth largest institutional infrastructure investor globally. The portfolio spans a range of sectors including energy, transport, utilities, and data infrastructure as well as tangible assets in timberland and agriculture.
I&RR seeks meaningful investments predominantly in private companies enabling an active governance approach. The team invests in a variety of capacities in the private markets including as a sole sponsor, co-investor, and very selectively through externally managed funds. In addition, I&RR takes positions in listed infrastructure businesses as a complementary strategy to private markets investments.
In 2023, the I&RR team proudly established their first international presence with the inauguration of their London, U.K. office. This significant milestone signifies a remarkable evolution of BCI and its infrastructure and renewable resources strategy. The new London office serves as a robust platform for the I&RR team to originate and manage investments in the U.K. and European markets, further solidifying BCI’s commitment to global expansion and diversification.
Reporting to the Director, ESG, the individual will play a key role in heightening BCI’s commitment to ESG within the I&RR portfolio, specifically in supporting the continued integration of ESG into investment processes, measuring and monitoring ESG performance across the I&RR portfolio, and engaging directly with portfolio companies on ESG.
The individual will have a strong understanding of ESG and private markets investing, with strong knowledge of ESG issues and their risk/return impacts. The ideal candidate is curious, driven and brings a long-term value investing mindset with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Relevant university degree complemented by research/industry experience. A post-graduate degree, MBA, CFA and/or other professional designation considered an asset
- 2-5 years experience in ESG/sustainability/environment, ideally in investment management, or consulting
- Experience or strong knowledge of ESG and private markets investing, specifically ESG issues and their risk/return impacts
- Sectoral expertise related to ESG integration and performance within the infrastructure, renewable resources, timber, and/or agricultural sectors
- Demonstrated experience analysing ESG risk and opportunity, specifically climate change, energy transition and physical climate risk, at the company entity level and/or portfolio level
- Demonstrated quantitative and qualitative analysis and research experience
- Demonstrated experience reporting to internal and external stakeholders, including excellent business writing skills and effective presentation skills
- Intermediate-level knowledge of Excel, and other tools, as well as quantitative and qualitative analysis and research techniques
- Strong interpersonal skills and analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Highly developed communication skills; ability to express complex and technical concepts in a clear and concise fashion through writing, presentations, workshops etc.
- Experience with private markets and/or infrastructure investment management is an asset
- Experience leading ESG workstreams in due diligence for prospective investments and mergers and acquisitions
- Experience developing GHG inventories, modelling climate transition and physical risk, at the company entity level and/or portfolio level, including application of PCAF
- Experience with or strong knowledge of sustainability standards and frameworks, including TCFD, ISSB, SASB, GRI, GHG Protocol, SFDR, SDG
- Bilingual, French, Spanish, German or other considered an asset
- Gather detailed data, perform quantitative and qualitative analysis, and generate reports on ESG performance at the company and portfolio level
- Integrate with the I&RR investment teams to lead conduct research and identify ESG risks and opportunities during the due diligence process of infrastructure investment opportunities
- Work as an integrated part of the I&RR asset management teams on ESG aspects, actively participating or supporting engagement with portfolio companies on key ESG matters
- Support the continuous improvement of ESG integration practices and processes, including data collection, risk and opportunity assessment, financial modeling of ESG risk in investments, reporting and monitoring processes and systems, and insights derivation
- Participate in internal and external working groups, peer networks, etc. to further develop and contribute to knowledge and capacity building of ESG best practices
BCI offers a competitive total rewards package which includes a performance-based incentive plan, comprehensive health & dental benefits, a defined benefit pension plan and paid time off.
The annualized base salary range for the Analyst role is CAD $74,000 – $85,000.
The annualized base salary range for the Senior Analyst role is CAD $84,000 – $100,000.
The annualized base salary range for the Associate role is CAD $95,000 – $115,000.
The base salary offered to the successful candidate will consider a wide array of factors including but not limited to the individual’s skill set, level of experience applicable to the role they are being offered and consideration to internal equity.
We pay our people competitively in the markets in which we compete for talent and with consideration to internal equity and job structure. We aim for actual pay to be around the median of the market for target or expected levels of performance, and around the upper quartile of the market for excellent performance.
Actual salaries may vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors, including, but not limited to, experience and expertise.
Closing Date: December 5, 2023
At BCI, we value diversity and believe in fostering an inclusive culture where all employees can be successful.
We are performance and client focused and value integrity; if you share these values, we want to know you.
We recognize that some skills can be learned on the job and encourage all to apply.
If you require an accommodation for the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms or other accommodations), please let us know. We would like to hear from you!