Website Allianz Global Investors
Insurer | Asset Manager
Join us. Let’s care for tomorrow.
At Allianz Global Investors our people enjoy motivating, fulfilling careers. If you are looking for a fast-paced working environment, you are resolved to cultivate and expand your talents and relish a challenge, then join us now!
We are committed to giving our people – experienced and energetic professionals alike – the opportunities and experiences they seek to thrive and gain personal fulfilment. We will work with you to craft your own career, develop your personal growth, and align your achievements with your ambitions.
As AllianzGI continues to develop and grow its private markets business, an opportunity exists to support a small but dynamic team (6 portfolio managers) focused on development finance principally within emerging markets and impact debt investing in developed countries.
The team’s strategies target sustainable and high-impact investment solutions – allowing commercial investors to direct their capital in a way that can make a positive and measurable difference in the world. Our investments fall into four buckets: (i) blended finance; (ii) export-credit agency financing; (iii) credit-insured emerging market loans; and (iv) impact investments principally in OECD countries.
Development Finance is a relatively new line of business, pioneered by AllianzGI together with Allianz and more recently, third-party investors.
We create new investment opportunities for our clients to invest in emerging and frontier markets in support of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Since 2017, we have launched several investment strategies including blended finance debt funds (Allianz & IFC MCPP infrastructure vehicle; Allianz & [Undisclosed Development Bank] SDG Loan partnership) as well as an Agency-backed strategy which started as a COVID-19 support initiative with the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) and has since evolved into export credit agency guaranteed investments and other credit enhanced loans.
The common factor among all these strategies is that they are based on partnerships with Multilateral and Development Financial Institutions, philanthropies, and governments to facilitate debt investments by institutional investors. Historically private investment in our core markets has been low; we are in an unprecedented time where all parties need to work together to achieve the SDGs – the AllianzGI Development Finance team leads the dialogue in the industry and facilitates the creation of new investment opportunities. The Development Finance team sits within and is supported by a well-established private markets investment platform of a leading asset manager.
The role will primarily focus on sourcing, structuring, and execution of debt investments across emerging markets (portfolio management). Thus, prior relevant deal experience is the principal screening criteria for the position. Secondary responsibilities may also include supporting portfolio managers on strategic product development, fundraising, and building and strengthening internal investment and asset management activities. The role will have a global scope and includes significant cross functional interaction.
The successful candidate will work closely with the rest of the team in a collaborative and exciting high-performance environment. We are seeking a highly motivated individual and a fast learner exhibiting the highest levels of competency, task ownership, integrity, ability to think independently and teamwork capabilities. Individuals who are proactive and tend to naturally assume responsibility for a project they work on would be a strong fit for the position.
The role is for a maternity cover with a FTC between 12 to 18 months.
Role & Responsibilities
Execution of investments:
- Assess the initial attractiveness of investment opportunities: conduct benchmark pricing and preliminary credit analysis, assess fit against investment guidelines, and identify any major ESG risks
- Prepare screening papers for presentation to the Investment Committee (“IC”)
- Structure and conduct due diligence transactions: financial modelling and detailed reviewing and analysing of financial, legal, commercial, and technical reports where applicable, as well as sourcing and evaluating independent research
- Review legal documentation providing an independent view on such documents. Work together and with the oversight and guidance of portfolio managers on negotiating legal documentation
- Undertake risk grading and benchmarking of transactions
- Prepare investment proposals and assist presentation to the Investment Committee
- Liaise with external parties during transaction structuring and execution, such as borrowers, legal counsel, and advisers
- Liaise with internal parties (e.g. Operations/Risk/Legal/Accounting functions) to ensure the successful execution of the transaction
- For existing strategies, assist with updating existing investment proposals (where required) for upsizing mandates, the development of portfolio management tools such as IRR tracking, and any ad hoc presentations or requests received from time to time
- For new funds or initiatives, contribute to fund structuring and fundraising by preparing high quality marketing materials, answering questions from potential investors, and responding to requests for proposals to win new business/mandates
Experience, Qualifications and Skills:
- Several years work experience in finance (preferably in project, structured, or leverage finance in a principal or advisory capacity)
- Experience in emerging private markets investments (debt or equity, in a principal or advisory capacity) is preferred
- Experience in export and agency finance and working with development finance and/or multilateral institutions is a plus
- Create Excel financial models from scratch for corporate and/or project finance transactions and support junior resources on modelling tasks
- Exceptional credit skills and the ability to take ownership over a transaction process (e.g., leading due diligence processes and the delivery of high-quality credit memorandums) demonstrated through prior deal experience
- Support a growing business, applying your skill set to add value to a variety of tasks including business/product development, fundraising, asset management, and various internal initiatives
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in ESG or impact investing and/or developing ESG or impact frameworks is a plus
- Interest and enthusiasm in driving real change through high impact investments
About Allianz Global Investors
Allianz Global Investors is a leading active asset manager with over 600 investment professionals in over 20 offices worldwide and managing EUR 578 billion in assets. Data as of 30 June 2022.
We invest for the long term and seek to generate value for clients every step of the way. We do this by being active – in how we partner with clients and anticipate their changing needs, and build solutions based on capabilities across public and private markets. Our focus on protecting and enhancing our clients’ assets leads naturally to a commitment to sustainability to drive positive change. Our goal is to elevate the investment experience for clients, whatever their location or objectives.
Putting our clients’ needs first, behaving in an open and transparent way and treating people fairly means acting with integrity. We respect difference and diversity and reward individual performance as well as teamwork. We offer a collegial culture based on strong values, taking individual responsibility, and dedication to mastering challenging tasks. To harness the power of innovation, we invest in the development of our employees. We encourage you to make an impact in a diverse, international, technology-enabled, and increasingly agile environment. If you feel inspired to elevate the active asset management experience, this is the place for you.
We are committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and to providing assistance to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you need support to navigate our websites or to complete your application, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Active is: Allianz Global Investors
AllianzGI completed the transfer of investment teams (including 87 Investment Professionals) and USD 101bn of assets they manage to Voya Investment Management as part of a strategic partnership. Two thirds of the assets continue to be managed on behalf of AllianzGI clients outside of the US.
18956 | Asset & Investment Management | Professional | Allianz Global Investors | Full-Time | Temporary