Work remotely, based in Edmonton, Calgary, or Toronto in our ROWE Model!
Sustainability Manager, Real Estate is responsible to plan and implement ESG/sustainability strategy and initiatives across the AIMCo global Real Estate portfolio, working with internal Portfolio Managers and external managers and service providers. The role includes implementation of data collection methods across the portfolio, leading decarbonization efforts, implementing consumption targets and managing/reporting thereon, analysis of market trends in sustainability, assessing climate change risk factors across holdings and potential transactions, leading yearly GRESB submission, and participating in wider AIMCo UNPRI and TCFD submissions. The role is intended to significantly contribute to AIMCo’s overall ESG related objectives.
- Developing and implementing sustainability best practices in the domestic and international real estate portfolio with cooperation and execution from third party managers
- Leading efforts to reduce real estate wide greenhouse gas emissions and focusing on decarbonization strategies with cooperation from third party managers
- Working with external consultants to ensure all energy, carbon, water and waste data is being tracked and recorded and shared with AIMCo by third party managers on a quarterly basis
- Analyzing and monitoring ESG performance, relative to AIMCo targets, of all directly held assets with cooperation from third party managers
- Conducting timely and reliable execution of yearly GRESB submission and assisting other AIMCo teams with UNPRI and TCFD submissions
- Proposing addition of social and governance strategies into AIMCo Real Estate’s overall sustainability strategy; ensuring all aspects of ESG are captured
Ideal Candidate Qualifications
- 7-10 years of related experience in sustainability strategy, implementation, project management, data/analytics, and communications
- Masters degree (or equivalent in experience) in sustainability and/or an MBA with a focus on data, analytics, and reporting would be considered a major asset.
- LEED or WELL accreditation an asset
- Sustainability practice at it relates directly to a commercial real estate portfolio
- Working understanding of GRESB and Energy Star Portfolio Manager
- Working knowledge of UNPRI, GRI, SASB, TCFD
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to AIMCo’s core values of excellence, transparency, humility, integrity and collaboration, and inspires the same in others
Within the first year, the Sustainability Manager, Real Estate will familiarize themselves with the existing sustainability initiatives underway within the Real Estate portfolio globally, and those broader objectives of AIMCo, to develop and execute a strategy and work plan to further enhance AIMCo’s position as a leader in Real Estate sustainability. This work supports AIMCo in generating consistent client returns over the long-term by controlling risk within the portfolio, enhancing leaseability of AIMCo’s Real Estate investments, and making a positive contribution to the environmental, social, and governance aspects of the portfolio.