Sustainable Investing (SI) at AIMCo has three strategic priorities: ESG Integration, Stewardship, Advocacy & Communications, and Navigating the Transition to the Low Carbon Economy. Our goal is to deliver on these priorities while ensuring we foster a high-performing client-first culture and assist in generating superior, risk-adjusted returns.
For AIMCo, acting in clients’ best interests includes a commitment to be responsible stewards. Climate change is one of the most pressing systemic risks of our time and a material environmental factor we face as investors. How our portfolio companies identify, monitor and manage climate risks and opportunities can significantly contribute to value creation or erosion of the long-term, risk-adjusted returns we deliver to our clients and the Albertans that depend on them for a secure financial future.
We are committed to integrating climate considerations across all assets under management, strengthening our own climate-related disclosures, and allocating capital to investments that are actively supporting the transition to the low-carbon economy. This manager will deliver on all facets of Climate Innovation, including carbon measurement, managing our climate taxonomy and leading research and analysis into climate-related regulation and technologies.
The successful candidate can work remotely, based in Edmonton, Calgary, or Toronto
- Maintain and deliver AIMCo’s carbon footprint, climate scenario analysis, and additional metrics to track client exposures to climate-related opportunities.
- Calculate the financed carbon emissions associated with any potential investment during the due diligence process and provide recommendations to investment professionals.
- Manage the on-going climate taxonomy project, developed to identify climate change-related risks and opportunities in existing and potential investments by classifying them into defined categories of grey, transition and green assets.
- Contribute to climate-related reporting for clients and other stakeholders, such as the annual Taskforce on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) Report.
- Collaborate with internal teams, including the CFO Office, and external vendors to identify data sources and collect information necessary to execute work.
- Participate in advocacy initiatives, including the Partnership for Carbon Accounting Financials, Investor Leadership Network and Climate Engagement Canada.
- Produce research, analysis, educational and thought leadership pieces on climate-related regulation, technologies, and trends for a wide variety of audiences.
Our Ideal Candidate Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Commerce, Finance or Sustainability.
- Experience working with financial institutions on assessing climate risk and opportunities.
- Understanding of carbon accounting and science-based target setting methods like Financed Emissions, Weighted Average Carbon Intensity and the Science-Based Targets Initiative (SBTi).
- Awareness of global climate-related regulatory and technological trends.
- Demonstrated analytical proficiency, organizational and communications experience.
- Excellent attention to detail regarding data management and strong ability to analyze data and trends.
- People Management – able to coach analysts to perform at a high capacity.
- Relationship management – build and maintain internal relationships with client organizations and numerous internal teams.
- Experience in project management, problem solving, and working in a deadline-driven environment.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to AIMCo’s core values of excellence, transparency, humility, integrity and collaboration, and inspires the same in others.
- AIMCo understands expectations and requirements from the International Sustainability Standards Board and Canadian regulators with regards to climate-related disclosure
- Investment teams understand and present climate metrics of potential assets at Investment Committee
- The pilot climate taxonomy is expanded to include more assets under management
- The TCFD report is published on schedule and well understood by clients
We are excited to meet you. Please submit your resume or CV to be considered for this opportunity. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis and we will be in touch with any questions.
Final candidates will be asked to undergo a security screening, which includes a credit bureau and a criminal record investigation, the results of which must be acceptable to AIMCo.
ALERT – Be on the lookout for AIMCo career opportunities advertised through third parties that request an application fee or too much information. To verify, all opportunities are posted on aimco.ca/jobs
Just like our investments, our international team is stronger when we are diversified. At AIMCo, we draw upon the differences in who we are, where we come from, and the way we think to foster sophisticated solutions for Albertans. Doing business the right way means building an equitable organization inclusive of all races, genders, ages, abilities, religions, neurodiversity, identities, and lived experiences. Simply put, when you can show up as your authentic self every day, you and your team can truly thrive — all in service of our clients and their beneficiaries.