December 28, 2023
The Director, Energy Transition will be responsible for managing AIMCo’s Energy Transition Opportunities Pool and for developing a thematic overlay to climate investing across AIMCo.
The Director, Energy Transition will report to the Executive Managing Director, Global Head of Infrastructure and Renewable Resources and will be a part of AIMCo’s Senior Leadership Team.
The Director, Energy Transition will work closely with members of both the Infrastructure and Renewable Resources team as well as the Sustainable Investing team. This role will also work with the other Public and Private markets asset classes and other corporate functions including legal, risk, compliance, finance etc. across AIMCo.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leading the development and execution of AIMCo’s climate investing strategy
- Sourcing and developing attractive energy transition investment opportunities
- Leading due diligence on energy transition fund managers and energy transition co-investment opportunities
- Presenting investment recommendations to AIMCo investment committees
- Understanding the global landscape of energy transition investing opportunities
- Providing market intelligence relating to energy transition investments
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with investment partners and service providers
- Monitoring and managing fund investments and co-investments, including by taking a leadership role on Limited Partner Advisory Committees
- Periodically visiting and touring portfolio assets, attending industry conferences, and meeting with investment partners and market participants
- Representing AIMCo to external stakeholder groups, including clients
- Overseeing board and client reporting, investment reviews and performance assessments
- Leading cross-functional initiatives such as research sprints
- Contributing to the development of junior staff
- Assisting all AIMCo asset classes with the development and execution of their climate investing strategies
- Monitoring the deployment and execution of AIMCo’s climate investing strategy
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 10+ years of relevant experience with a thorough understanding of energy transition investment opportunities
- Demonstrated capabilities in transaction structuring, partnering/co-owner negotiations, and asset management
- Strong experience in people leadership, development and team building
- Undergraduate or post-graduate degree in finance or a related technical discipline (e.g., economics, business, engineering)
- Advanced communication skills, with an ability to foster collaborative relationships amongst internal and external stakeholder groups
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to AIMCo’s core values of excellence, transparency, humility, integrity, and collaboration, and inspires the same in others
- Make fund commitments in Energy Transition Opportunities Pool
- Complete cross-functional initiatives such as research sprint
- Develop strong relationships with investment partners
- Analyze co-investment opportunities
- Advance AIMCo’s climate investing strategy
We are excited to meet you. Please submit your resume or CV to be considered for this opportunity. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis and we will be in touch with any questions.
Final candidates will be asked to undergo a security screening, which includes a credit bureau and a criminal record investigation, the results of which must be acceptable to AIMCo.
ALERT – Be on the lookout for AIMCo career opportunities advertised through third parties that request an application fee or too much information. To verify, all opportunities are posted on aimco.ca/jobs
Just like our investments, our international team is stronger when we are diversified. At AIMCo, we draw upon the differences in who we are, where we come from, and the way we think to foster sophisticated solutions for Albertans. Doing business the right way means building an equitable organization inclusive of all races, genders, ages, abilities, religions, neurodiversity, identities, and lived experiences. Simply put, when you can show up as your authentic self every day, you and your team can truly thrive — all in service of our clients and their beneficiaries.