Website AGF Investments
Founded in 1957, AGF Management Limited is an independent and globally diverse asset management firm. AGF brings a disciplined approach to delivering excellence in investment management through its fundamental, quantitative, private capital, and high-net-worth businesses. Our suite of diverse investment solutions extends globally to a wide range of clients, from individual investors and financial advisors to institutions, including pension plans, corporate plans, sovereign wealth funds, endowments and foundations. Our commitment to the principles of good stewardship and responsible investment is a positive differentiator for AGF. We believe integrating Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues into our investment decision-making and ownership practices across platforms will help deliver better investment outcomes to our clients.
About the Team:
We are looking for a Thematic Investment Analyst to join our leading Global Sustainable Growth strategy as a core team member. The Sustainable Growth team is responsible for providing clients with exposure to key themes within sustainable investing falling under four macro themes which focus on solutions within Energy, Water, Waste and Health. Companies of interest provide a product or solution to key sustainability challenges such as climate change and the circular economy while demonstrating strong financial and ESG performance and improvement. Stewardship of our holdings, including active engagement, is a key component of our discipline. AGF’s growth and success are the direct result of employees’ commitment and dedication, and our disciplined approach to investing.
About the Role:
This is a great opportunity to participate in the increasing interest of institutional and retail investors in sustainable investing. If you thrive within an entrepreneurial team environment and have a passion for continuous improvement this opportunity will likely be of interest. You will leverage your experience in defining financial materiality within sustainability data sets, identifying emerging thematic opportunities, and providing impact metrics. A strong passion for sustainable investing coupled with solid industry knowledge and financial skills and an ability to work independently is essential for this role.
- Assist with identifying, tracking and updating attractive sustainability themes
- Conduct in-depth comparative research on company positioning – particularly related to energy transition issues, net zero commitments and associated capital plans
- Provide recommendations on external environmental/ESG/impact data sets that might improve the team’s process
- Provide team leadership on stewardship initiatives including identifying engagement opportunities and coordinating with our centralized ESG team
- Provide comparative ESG analysis of portfolio holdings; liaise with research providers
- Engage with a pool of sector analysts to identify opportunities and facilitate research
- Build and maintain an expert level of knowledge of the fund’s existing positions and competitive context
- Assist the Portfolio Managers in the maintenance of portfolios
- Develop and maintain business relationships with company management teams and industry experts
- Regularly and proactively update the portfolio team on company/industry news and developments
- Keep current on political and economic trends and events which could impact investment decisions
- 3 to 5+ years’ experience analyzing companies relative positioning on environmental issues (in particular carbon emissions) with both qualitative and quantitative indicators.
- Good working knowledge of ESG research databases and regional regulatory initiatives which includes disclosure standards, and reporting requirements
- Familiarity with the US Sustainable Development Goals
- Technical (engineering, science, environmental management) undergraduate/graduate degree and/or experience in social supply chain analysis – MBA designation a positive consideration
- CFA designation (or working towards it) and/or strong financial markets experience preferred
- Exceptional analytical and research skills
- Sound knowledge and interest of corporate finance, equity, and environmental markets
- Self-motivated, results-driven and able to work independently
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Very strong organizational skills with high attention to detail
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills – familiarity with Bloomberg an asset
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
AGF is an equal opportunity employer. AGF welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request in all aspects of our recruitment and selection process. It is the Company’s policy to recruit and select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications, with emphasis on selecting the best qualified person for the job. AGF does not discriminate against applicants based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or disability or any other status or condition protected by applicable legislation.